Frequently Asked Questions
What is Illinois Care Connections?
- The Illinois Department on Aging (IDoA) and the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) received $1.7 million through the CARES Act from the Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Community Living to provide services to older adults and persons with disabilities who are socially isolated as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Illinois Care Connections will provide technology devices such as iPads or Tablets to participants to help facilitate social connections with family and friends. The agencies are working in partnership with the Illinois Assistive Technology Program (IATP) to provide the devices.
Who is eligible to receive technology devices through Illinois Care Connections?
- Participants MUST be receiving services through 1) IDoA, 2) IDHS-Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) OR 3) Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) providers and programs. Participants are eligible if they have been socially isolated as a result of the Coronavirus and are experiencing loneliness and a lack of connectedness.
- For IDoA, the participant must be receiving services from the Community Care Program or through an Area Agency on Aging.
Can individuals complete the referral process themselves?
- No. Only IDoA, IDHS-DDD or DRS and/or their approved provider organizations statewide can submit a referral on the participant’s behalf. The online referral form is available here: https://care.iltech.org
Who will be processing the online referrals?
- The Illinois Assistive Technology Program (IATP) will be procuring the needed devices and assembling the bundle for each participant. The online referral form is available here: https://care.iltech.org
How long will it take for the participant to receive the technology device?
- Items will be shipped as quickly as possible, but may be subject to delays based on the availability of the needed technology devices due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
How will participants be provided the technology devices?
- IATP will utilize UPS to ship the devices to the participants. A signature will be required for delivery.
What if the participant cannot sign for the delivery, can they still obtain the technology devices? Can the referring agency put my name and address to receive the package for the participant?
- Yes. However, the online referral form requires an alternate address to where the package can be delivered. If the customer can’t sign or there is no alternate address, this should not prohibit the referring organization from making the referral. IATP will work individually with the referring provider and participant on a solution.
What devices will be available through the Illinois Care Connections program?
- IATP will work with the referring provider to evaluate what type of device will be best for a participant. Please see the referral form for more information.
Will there be any technical assistance available if the participant needs help with the device?
- Yes, IATP and the University of Illinois Chicago-Assistive Technology Unit will offer telephone technical assistance to the participant. Both organizations’ contact information will be included in the package shipped to the participant. In addition, clear, concise and accessible directions for operations of the device will be included in the package.
Will training materials be available in different languages and accessible?
- All training materials developed by IATP will be accessible and translated into the needed language of the participant.
How long will Illinois Care Connections run?
- Technical Assistance for participants is available through IATP for 15 months (July 1, 2020 through September 30, 2021). However, the funding for the actual purchase of the technology devices is available on a first come first serve basis and will be equally divided among IDoA, IDHS-DDD and DRS participants.
Does the participant need to live alone as the press release indicated?
- No, for example if a participant lives in a group home or lives with others they can still be affected by the social isolation caused by COVID-19 and may be eligible to receive a device.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The URL for the Illinois Care Connections Referral Form is: https://care.iltech.org